You can Build a Better World for Women and Girls!
Since 1950, Zonta Club of Hilo has provided resources and funds to empower women and expand access to education, economic opportunities, social services, and more.
Thank you for making gender equality a priority in Hawai`i and beyond.
By supporting our foundation’s volunteer-powered charitable work, you improve the lives of women and girls locally and globally.
Your gift makes possible:
- Amelia Earhart Girls in Engineering Day to encourage girls grades 4-8 to continue STEM curriculum.
- Magnificent Me middle school conference to introduce adolescent girls to confidence-building strategies and tools.
- Hands Are Not For Hitting, Hands Are for Helping non-violent education and book project for preschoolers.
- 4 Scholarships & 3 Awards for women in public affairs, nursing, communications, business, STEM, excellence, and entrepreneurship.
- Pay it Forward Microgrants for women entrepreneurs in need of a small financial boost.
Donate by mail:
Zonta Club of Hilo Foundation
P.O. Box 1915
Hilo, HI 96721-1915
Sofia Ferreira Colman
University of Hawai`i at Hilo, Marine Science
2023 Women in STEM Scholarship Recipient
Zonta Club of Hilo ($1,000) & Zonta International ($5,000)
Sofia Ferreira Colman of Paraguay attends the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo, where she studies Marine Science. Sofia was selected to receive the 2023 Zonta Club of Hilo Women in STEM Scholarship of $1,000. After her application was advanced by our local club to compete internationally, Sofia was selected as one of 30 women representing 20 countries who were awarded the 2023 Zonta International Women in STEM Scholarship of $5,000.
The STEM Scholarship will enable me to complete my master’s thesis that involves creating three-dimensional models of Hawaiian coral reefs to investigate the intricate connections between the structural complexity of reef habitats and the local fish community using a trait-based approach. Ultimately, the models can help scientists find ways of fighting climate effect change in Hawai‘i,” said Sofia.